I had the most amazing day yesterday! I have been "following" this one blog for a few years now and back when it was just a blog and a link to a really cool website full of goodies and scrappy things I would go there to read the wonderful stuff that this lady would often write. Suddenly, last year, she began to write about her life in a much deeper way (in fact, it was a year ago around this time) and she talked of her husbands brain injury and his long long road to recovery and what it meant to her and her marriage in such a way that I just couldn't help but follow her progress and her honest writing of what had been taking place over the previous years (she had talked about it a lot but not with such bare honesty and compelling words before). One of the things that she would often take pictures of, and talk of, was birds and the fact that she was/is a wonderful artist and photographer made it even more interesting. The Lord would often use the visuals of birds going about their daily lives to speak to her about her own life and her own heart. It was really cool and I myself began to notice birds in a whole new way and how their behavior can often mirror what we experience in so many ways as far as the need to fly free, to soar above the clouds and to stick together, to sing and make beautiful music....you get my drift....So, the other day, I was on her blog and read this thing she had written about really SEEING beauty around you...here it is actually, well a part of it anyway:
if you are in a place where you feel like your choices are diminished, please just decide that you will make ONE CHOICE today……a good choice that will bring some peace into your life. YOU get to choose what that choice is, but may I suggest that you seek out things that are beautiful and true and REALLY SEE THEM…or REALLY HEAR THEM? No matter what is going on in your life in this moment, no matter how bleak or overwhelming or even devastating, you can choose right now to put something beautiful into your mind and to start to heal your heart. It is a hard choice sometimes, I know. BUT ONLY YOU CAN DO IT. This is the part that is so important for us to remember…NO ONE CAN MAKE OUR CHOICES FOR US (or they are not our choices, are they?) We MUST take this beautiful gift of our free will and make it into our beautiful story. WE MUST. We must take hold of what is entering into our minds and hearts and choose to only let it be goodness and truth. We must take the steps forward that we know we need to take, no matter how hard they may seem. We must stand up for what we know to be true. We must stand up for others in their weakness. We must CHOOSE the life we want to live…….or a life we never wanted will simply happen to us. We must be the captain of our own ship, and we must be the director of our own orchestra and we must be the gardener of our own garden. God gave us this beautiful gift of choice for our own happiness. WE GET TO CHOOSE. WE DO.
So, I read this and thought, I am going to ask the Lord to help me SEE today, to CHOOSE to see beauty around me, really SEE....so as I drove to work, I began to look around and see such wonderful beauty. The ducks on Eckman Lake, swimming all together, reminded me that I need to stick with people who love me, who support me and will be there for me...and so on...I got to work and as I started working on the house I was in, I realized I had forgotten my gloves in the car so I went out to get them in the back. I had my hatch open for only a second as I reached in and grabbed my gloves and went back in to work. I commenced cleaning house for the next three hours and packed up and went out to my car. I put my stuff in the back again, and then went around to the front and got in my drivers side door, and as I did, I noticed a little brown bird in the windshield of my car!!!!!! INSIDE!!!!!!!!!! In my entire ENTIRE life, I have NEVER had that happen, I haven't even had them come into the house! So, imagine my great shock and surprise as this bird was in my car, I started talking to this little birdy and eased into my seat and turned the car on to open the window to let him out. I got the window open and this little bird flew out the window, as happy as a clam to get out of my car. Whew! disaster averted....BUT...as I drove around doing my errands and thinking about this bird, I heard in my heart..."See" "See Lucy" "I do notice you..." Its funny what one little word, one tiny three letter word can mean from the Lord...SEE??? SEE!!!!! Do you see me in that bird? Do you see that I care about you? Do you see that I know that you feel like that bird, trapped (in old patterns of thinking), and do you know that I have HUGE plans to free you???? WOW!!!! SEEEEEE?????SSSSSSSEEEEEEE?????? That word will seriously never mean the same thing for me!!!! I keep thinking, Oh Lord, I am beginning to see...like that blind man you healed who saw dimly and blurrily at first and then his eyesight cleared up...I am that man. I so identified with that plain little brown bird who was so scared, trapped in my car, locked in my car, no way out, no way to fix its problem and not knowing what to do, confused and alone and then...the LORD bursts onto my scene showing me that I was NEVER alone (okay, so I could say I know scripture about that but knowing it and feeling it are two different things) and He showed me, later in the evening, the scripture in His word that says, in paraphrase, "I even know when a sparrow falls to the ground and you are much more important than that" The Lord whispered one word into my heart with such richness that I just keep saying it over and over...see....do you see......Oh Lord, I am beginning to, I am beginning to.....and it feels so great! The blog title that I had read and copied for you above is called "A Little Birdy Told Me" and that day, when I thought of that bird, I thought, a little birdy told me, showed me, that the Lord does love me, He does see me, He is concerned about me, and He is caring for me...
Oh the power of His love for me...shown in a tiny helpless bird!
No comments:
Post a Comment