I am a christian. A Bible believing, Jesus loving, Christ following, woman...Saved by Grace, Forgiven by the Blood of our Savior, and walking in His mercy.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The first few days....

It had been my intention to blog my way through my birthday weekend, I was so sure that I would do better at writing down all the funny things I knew would happen soon after it happened but since I really didn't want to take a block of time and write anything, I just enjoyed the days we had together and decided I would blog about it later.

I haven't spent a birthday with Penny (or my other sisters who live far away) for a long long time so, when we started talking about dates (our other choice was the Twin Falls County Fair and we might do that next year) I settled on my birthday.  For so many reasons it was just a blast, probably because it was a 4 day birthday fest but also because I love going to Idaho. Its like going home for me.

I told Penny early on that I had a few things I wanted to do for my big day. One...I wanted to try on dresses. Any dress that struck my fancy (they had to try some on too). Two...I wanted to shoe shop...again, trying on anything that I liked, most especially stiletto's :O)  Three...I wanted to go out to dinner. Everyone was welcome but Connie and Penny HAD to be there.  We did all three of those things and more and it was such a BLAST!!!!

Here are a few of the highlights: Friday morning we ended up at the Quilt store. What a great place.  Connie and Penny both got material for quilts for me for my birthday that will be so awesome when done and will be great reminders of our fun time together.  I found a great book full of purse/bag patterns...HOLY COW! One problem I have is that I can never totally decide what I really love to do, scrapbook (which I really DO love) sew (which I also love but am not that patient with) or a host of handsewing projects and the like....I have to say something about my mom here. Something I have been thinking a lot about in recent months/years.  Our mom was so great about encouraging hobbies in all of us girls.  We all grew up being told that nothing was beyond our ability to learn if we wanted to.  She bought us yarn if we wanted to learn how to knit or crochet (which she taught to both Teri and I), she bought cross stitch thread if we wanted to learn to cross stitch and even pilfered her own stash for needles, hoops and fabric, taking time to teach us other stitches for other types of hand sewing, she bought buttons, hooks, loops, material, thread, scissors, needles, foam, beads....the list is endless. She taught us how to sew, she bought me a kit to dry flowers and she would patiently teach me what I needed to know about a project, often reading the instructions to me phase by phase.  I cannot even express the gratitude I have for this huge gift in our lives. It was the gift of creativity and it has been deeply precious to us, therapeutic in some way for each one of us and it is something that I hope will live on in our children as we share the things she taught us.  It has continued to be a bond that we all share with her over the years as she has unselfishly given of her time and resources in so many areas of creativity! I forgot to mention gardening in that list!!!!!  :o)

After our trip to the quilt store we went to Kohls where we commenced to picking up whatever we liked and carrying it into the dressing room and trying it on. Even here we got a huge dressing room together and all three of us tried our clothes on, asking opinions, mixing and matching...TOO FUN!!! We also went to the shoe section and tried on all kinds of great shoes, I think the pics for those are on other cameras but we got one with me in some kind of weird boot shoe thing, Penny was in a purple leopard print stiletto and Connie was in a shoe thing with buckles up to the ankle.  People must have thought we were crazy, giggling and carrying on, but thats exactly what I wanted to do!  

We went and got Penny's granddaughters Lainey and Isabelle at Penny's house and took off for the Lollipop Stop! Oh my goodness....a candy store from the old days! We snuck bought dracula wax teeth and bubble gum cigars and the girls and I got bubble gum cigarettes and candy cigarettes which we commenced to have a blast with while we sat in the back seat! I love those girls they are so funny and I totally took up my great aunt rights and semi corrupted them, taking off my seat belt to take a phone camera pic to send to their mom..yes, we had candy cigarettes in our mouths and giggled the whole time.  Later on that evening Connie, Penny and I went to the mall and visited every store that struck our fancy! The highlight of the evening was our time spent in Deb! There were a whole group of girls shopping for Homecoming dresses and we totally joined them, grabbing at least 3 dresses to try on. Unfortunately we didn't get to be in the same dressing room but it was hilarious, hearing the comments from each others rooms next door to each other.  At one point I heard Penny say, "oh h*** no, I am not coming out of the dressing room!" So we went in and proceeded to laugh til we cried at her dress and take a picture, of course! We ran home, grabbed Richard and headed to Marie Callendars since Connie had been craving Pumpkin pie!

I'm gonna stop there and will blog my Birthday day a little bit later! I have so many things I am trying to get done around here!  

No comments: