The other night I was experiencing a Naomi moment. In the book of Ruth, Naomi declares, basically, that the Lord is punishing her, she felt abandoned by Him because she had not only lost her husband but both of her sons and had no one to carry on the family name (a big deal in those days). Ruth sticks with her, taking on a new nationality and family, religion and belief system, out of love for this woman, her mother in law. I get the way Naomi was feeling. No, I haven't lost my children or my husband, but Naomi had a false belief system that said, because things didn't turn out the way I thought they would, God must not love me, He must be mad at me. Boy do I understand that mindset, that lie. Its sad to think that we KNOW the truth, in our minds at least, but KNOWING it in our hearts and following it is another story altogether. My sister Connie told me that her granddaughter Myla told her that God lived inside of her...Connie said, yes, He's in your heart, and Myla, in her childlike wisdom said, "no Mimi, He's in my forehead!" Oh the amazing brilliance of that statement! We so often keep Jesus in our FOREHEAD and forget to let Him see our HEART! How simple and yet so difficult sometimes because the lies that we came to believe about ourselves, our value, our very lives, can be so powerfully overwhelming and so damaging. I am here to tell ya, I have some doozies and I get so frustrated with myself in this battle to overcome the lies that I grew up with. It must have felt that way for Naomi don't you think?
I am so grateful for a loving God, for our Saviour...as I stood in the dark, looking up at the moon and the stars, I had a moment of honesty with the Lord. "I don't know if I believe this stuff Lord." and I heard, "Its okay, I still believe in you".......Our God is capable of handling our fears, our doubts, our unbelief, our insecurities, our childhood lies, our shame, our disappointments, our mishandling of our own mistakes, our....I will let you fill in the blanks, but He is capable. If He can take a woman with such bitterness and doubt as Naomi and turn her life around to be in abundant blessing and observer of the miracle of new life and new birth, then He can certainly do something with our lives.
Bless your day.
1 comment:
I feel that He greets our doubts. Because when we doubt Him, we generally end up seeking for the answer and finding ourselves even deeper within His grace.
We've been talking about this in my small group at college youth group, the perfect love in Him, how we'll never be able to fully grasp it. I find myself constantly questioning all of the mysteries of His characteristics that I fail to find within other human beings. The fact that He fulfills and exceeds each trait that we see here. It's mind boggling and we have an insatiable thirst to know more, to understand more, to gain more. Faith is our constant chase of those mysteries that we cannot fully comprehend.
Post a Comment