I love it when the Lord speaks to my heart and drops a message into my soul. It is a beautiful thing and it doesn't happen often enough. Not because the Lord doesn't want to but because I am someone who so often is running full out each and every day, either internally or externally, that I often don't stop long enough to hear Him speak to me. I have learned over the years, to know His voice, to know when something is from Him. Am I always right? No, sometimes I think I hear my own, "go Lucy, do that" or something along those lines.
The other night I was lying in bed. I went to bed early because I was upset with my husband and couldn't think of anything else to do besides fight with him so, I withdrew to our room. As I lay there staring at the wall in front of me my eyes landed on the miniature bible that was laying there. I don't read this bible normally because I can't see very well and need even stronger magnifiers than I have, but anyway, I held the bible as far away as my weak magnifiers could see from and read where it was opened to. No, I hadn't been doing the godly thing and reading it at any time, for some reason it lay open on my bedside stand. No, I didn't get any profound message on how to not be mad at John anymore, I have learned that one, I was just refusing to listen to it at the moment. So I am stretching my arm out to read the Word and this is what it said:
Psalm 18 (its a long one, I am just gonna write what I SAW that night)
1-6
I will love You Lord my strength
The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer
My God, my strength in whom I will trust
My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold
I will call upon the Lord who is worthy to be praised; so shall I be saved from my enemies
The pangs of death surrounded me
And the floods of ungodliness made me afraid
The sorrows of Sheol surrounded me
The snares of death confronted me
In my distress I called upon the Lord
And cried out to my God.
He heard my voice from His temple
and my cry came before Him, EVEN to His ears.
16-19
He sent from above, He took me; He drew me out of many waters.
He delivered me from my strong enemy, from those who hated me, for they were too strong for me. They confronted me in the day of my calamity but the Lord was my support.
He also brought me out into a broad place; He delivered me because He delighted in me.
Okay...so the middle part between those two sections talks about how the Lord thundered down from heaven and the earth shook and he did all kinds of powerful and amazing things...all in defense of ME!!!
So here I am, thinking, wow, so the Lord so loves me, so delights in me that when I cry out to Him in my distress, the THUNDERS down from heaven to save me!!! Holy Moly! He is willing to shake the earth, bow the heavens, fly upon the wind, send down hailstones and arrows and lightening in order to vanquish the enemy!!!! Can you SEE it????? Its AWESOME!!!! I thought, okay, so it talks about my enemies...who are those? Well, the Word says that our battle isn't against flesh and blood but against powers of darkness, against the rulers of this dark age, in other words, the enemy of our souls and his emmissaries...Now does God really bring down lightening and thunder and all the cataclysims of nature to defend me? I don't know for sure but I can honestly see how He would do that in the supernatural! In the world we cannot see I can imagine that He does indeed send arrows a flyin into an enemy that seeks only to destroy my soul and destroy my life. I can imagine that the Lord says in His thunderous voice "AWAY WITH YOU SATAN, SHE IS MINE!!!!!" Isn't that an awesome picture? We cry out in our weakness, in our anxieties, in our pains, in our need, in our desperation, and He sends mighty waves of power to aid us. I can't see it but there have been many times I have felt it, have enjoyed knowing that the God I trust with the well being of my soul will fight for it, will defend it and will take care of me.
So one of my fave scriptures is in Habakkuk and a shorter version of that scripture is also in this Psalm...vs.31-33
For who is God except the Lord? And who is a rock except our God?
It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect.
He makes my feet the feet of deer and sets me on my high places.
Ahhhhh.....feels like a breath of fresh air to my weary soul. All I have to do is cry out and my God thunders down to my defense. I have to call out and He inclines His ear to me...
If you want a good read, go read the rest of the Psalm, its a long one but well worth it!
No comments:
Post a Comment