I was thinking the other day about how many times I say, Oh, next year we will do that. Or, we plan on doing this soon....only to have plans completely change and become something else. As our economy slows to a crawl I am becoming increasingly aware of things I take for granted, things I thought I would do. John and I talked repeatedly about buying a travel trailer this next year. We have wanted to own our own for a few years now, actually quite a few years now, but haven't really had the means to do it. We have had the priviledge to borrow Butch and Denies amazingly beautiful 5th wheel for the last two years and it has been so awesome but it can be scary, borrowing a trailer that doesn't belong to us. It suddenly dawned on me the other day that plans will have changed and I said to John, "guess this means we will be asking to borrow Butch and Denies trailer next year again"...he looked at me sideways and just said, hmph....haha! Thank the Lord that it isn't really a big deal to us at this point in our lives.
Bryce and Kaylee have been dealing with such big issues lately, as I have said in previous posts. It has been so gratifying, watching these two young adults grow in their faith and trust of the Lord in a whole new way and seeing them handle big issues and disappointments with such grace and wisdom. I am so proud of them both. Yesterday Bryce came home from work and as he was changing his shirt, Kaylee noticed that he was a deep shade of yellow. His skin, the whites of his eyes and, actually, the rest of his body was yellow. This morning, "Mellow Yellow" as his merciful brother in laws have been calling him, and Kaylee, went to Urgent Care and got some blood tests done. His gall bladder is doing something and he will have to have an ultrasound and a surgical consult on Monday morning, when he was supposed to start his new job. So, despite no insurance, despite no job since October and despite this weeks long illness he has been struggling with, Bryce made our Alexis (Aarons sweet and wonderful girlfriend) her birthday dinner request of Teriyaki Chicken and played games and had a peaceful and relaxing day today. His new boss was gracious and understanding about this new development and he just simply responded to the situation with peace and joy despite so many setbacks.
Kaylee and I were talking the other day about what scripture says about making plans in our lives. The word says not to worry about what we will eat, what we will wear, because the Lord cares for us more than the birds of the air. It also says not to say, tomorrow I will do this or next year I will do that, because we see such a small part of the picture. Okay, so I am seriously paraphrasing but the point is, we make these plans and say these things with no knowledge of what is coming in our lives and what the Lord wants to do in and through us. I am grateful that the Lord wants us to be concerned only with today, this moment in time, living it to the fullest and not give in to our human desire to know the future, that way, we can place our hearts and our lives, our future and our dreams, in His capable hands. He alone knows the plans that He has for us, plans for good and not of evil, to give us a future and a hope. His Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light for path. I heard it explained to me once that the light to our path is like a headlamp, to see the path we must look down and when we do, the light is cast only at our feet. We only need enough light to see exactly where we are going at that very moment. I am determined, in these days, in this uncertain world, to remember that I don't have to know what is going to happen to me I just need to remember that my life, my future is safe in His hands...
Don't Count Your Chickens Before They Hatch.....And Trust and Unknown Future to a Known God.....
1 comment:
Great thoughts, Lucy. I find that although it is great to daydream about 5-year or 10-year goals (although these days I find it difficult to think past a one-MONTH goal), God always seems to have things in mind that never enter our imaginations. I think He does want us to plan and dream, but to allow Him to shape those plans and dreams in our hearts, instead of trying to work Him into our own way. It works much better His way, don't you think?
Post a Comment