I just have to blog this great recipe I tried yesterday! John and I ended up having a day where we were pretty much alone. It was a really nice day where we slept in, got up and decided to go to Newport to get a few groceries (we ended up getting each other a couple of shirts in the process). We came home and he got so happy from the warm sunshine that he decided to mow the lawn and then detail his pickup (was it ever DIRTY). John came in the house where I was puttering around and asked me if I wanted to work on my car too, I could clean the inside and he could wash the outside. I grabbed at the suggestion but not before I threw together this recipe I had found in the most recent Rachael Ray mag. It turned out to be FANTASTIC and really easy to make!
Here goes:
Banana Lemon Pudding Cake (I made it with home canned peaches instead of bananas) YUM!
3 eggs, separated
One 6 oz container of plain fat free yogurt
Grated Lemon peel and juice of one large lemon (I didn't have one so I used 1 tbsp of lemon juice)
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
4 ripe bananas, sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick
Whipped Cream (optional)
1. Grease the inside of a 3 to 4 qt. slow cooker with butter. In a large bowl, using a handheld mixer, beat the egg whites on high speed until soft peaks form. (I don't have a handheld so I did the egg whites in the kitchen aide and then put them gently in another bowl for the next thing). In another bowl, beat together the egg yolks, yogurt, lemon peel and lemon juice on medium speed for 1 minute. Add the sugar, flour and salt and beat on medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. Working in 3 or 4 batches, gently fold in the beaten egg whites.
2. Scatter three quarters of the banana slices on the bottom of the slow cooker, then pour the batter. Cover and cook on high until the cake is puffed, the top is set and the edges are browned, about 1 hour 20 minutes.
3. Spoon the pudding into bowls and top with the whip cream and remaining bananas.
You can use fruit other than bananas, you can use peaches, pears, or berries, simply stir into the batter instead of scattering along the bottom of the cooker.
All I can say is AWESOME! It is so easy! A fluffy cakey crust forms on the top and when you spoon into it there is this puddingy yummy stuff with fruit in it!
John and I are working on getting ready for our trip. I have picked out all my clothes as far as I can tell and am ready to get them in a suitcase and see how much they weigh! haha! Its gonna be a busy three days til we leave! Yikes
No comments:
Post a Comment