The other day John got the idea that we should have a gift wrapping session. Something he usually avoids like the plague. I reluctantly hauled all the presents out onto the family room floor along with paper, tape and scissors and we began, what turned out to be, a trip into hilarious and the kind of laughter that makes your stomach hurt. Aaron, John and I were all sitting on the floor amidst packages, boxes, bags and various other goodies. Now, John isn't a wrapper, never has been, he always leaves this to me, although, to his credit, he gives it decent lip service each year as in the past we have hid out in our room and I have given him jobs to do! I handed him a gift for Lu and he proceeded to lay it out on the paper. As I looked on, mesmerized by these GIANT THUMBS, 10 of them to be exact, he cut the paper too small and began to attempt to wrap the gift anyway, totally oblivious as to how to do it. I broke into his attempts with some advice to which he responded "I know...I got it..." okay, I said, its your deal." and started to wrap my own set of gifts sitting by me. He looked up a few times, with grunts of frustration and apparent disbelief in his total inability to master this small task but kept at it, finally showing me a package that looked like a two year old had wrapped it! He went on to wrap another and by this time Aaron and I were laughing so hard I started to cough, Aaron is snapping pictures and the sight of this gift was something to behold. Aaron was taking pix and sending them to his sister who was also laughing from home and the whole thing began to go south! Here is what he was doing....He wrapped one side (mind you, it was a BOX) and taped it down, then made a quarter turn and tucked the paper around the other side, only the corners wouldn't cooperate so he then started on the third side, across from the side he started on but by then was so massively outmatched it wasn't funny! "WHAT THE...!!!" was what came out of his mouth and as peals of laughter came from Aaron and I, I reached out to show him, yet again, how to wrap a box...only to find that when he taped the edges of the paper to the box, he used big old strips of tape! I found chunks of tape all over the floor because every time he tried to tear it off he would get it wrapped around his fingers! we managed to get the tape sort of off the box and he let me show him how to wrap it. He then did the rest on his own. We went through this process a few more times before we were done. Now, John is by no means inept but this one thing seems to stump him! Last night Ryan was sitting there looking at the tree and suddenly went, "dad, did you wrap this present?" as he picked up one that had been patchworked together and taped to death! Of course we all laughed at his expense, after all, what are families for? seriously though, he took it all in good fun and actually, despite his lack of finesse with scissors (in the middle of cutting paper with my pink Fiskars scissors he informed me that he had used those very scissors to cut the padding for underlayment that went beneath the laminate floor in the kitchen! did you hear me shrieking Julie?) and paper, he is such a good sport, all full of honest attempts at making something nice for his gift recipients!
Oh and another little note: Ryan just went to see Bri, who, by the way, happily, is coming home today! yipee! They were able to go to an animal park in SanDiego where they have a mile long zip line! These are pics from that zip line trip...It looks like so much fun!
Isn't this something? I think it looks like Ryan is just leaning into the whole event and that is Bri right behind him, what a cool COOl pic! Thanks for sharing B-nana!




No comments:
Post a Comment