I am a christian. A Bible believing, Jesus loving, Christ following, woman...Saved by Grace, Forgiven by the Blood of our Savior, and walking in His mercy.

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

My guy!

One of the things I love most about being in love with the same man for as many years as I have? I can still be surprised by him!  Yep! I can and I am, actually quite often he completely takes my breath away either by just being willing to learn another thing about our relationship that will make it better or by being romantic even when I can tell he really has no idea what he is doing!

Yesterday was another one of those days when he takes me by surprise and I am profoundly touched and reaffirmed about my value in his life.  I had been fighting a bug for a few days but, because I had so many other things I wanted to do, (like visit with old friends) I pretty much ignored it. On Monday night though, I began to cough quite a bit and feel my chest get really tight. We had just opened up a new puzzle that I had picked out and I SO wanted to work on it but I just couldn't stop coughing.  I went to our chaise lounge chair and sat and eventually, literally, coughed myself into exhaustion.  John came over and helped me to bed, leaving the bedroom door open for me to be able to not be lonely (or cold) he was waiting up for Ryan to get home from school and it was freezing out. Apparently Ry got home some time around midnight, I never heard him arrive or even felt John get into bed I was so medicated and worn out.  The next morning my sweet hubby gets up before me and I hear him in the kitchen, pretty soon he comes into the bedroom and serves me breakfast of toast and eggs and hot emergen-c in bed!  Then, he goes out of the room, picks up the phone and calls the Dr., making an appointment for me to go in that morning.  He then helps me to the shower, gets the water going and waits for me to come out, warming up the truck while he waited for me.  Dropping me off at the Dr. office he went to the grocery store and got medicine for me to make it through the day and dog food (we were out) and comes back and gets me. When we get home, by that time I am almost asleep again, he makes sure I am getting my jammies on and sets me up a "bed" in the family room. I spent the day in that "bed" being waited on hand and foot, tenderley and gently tended to and made sure I am getting all that I need in order to get better. He and Ryan went and got a tree and I drowsily watched him put it up and string the lights on it (what a ham he is) he brought me a sandwich for lunch and soup for dinner, kissed my forehead and checked on me throughout the day. I honestly remember only parts of the day, the best parts, when he was taking care of me, but I am so glad that I remember that part the most!

You see, he wasn't always a nurturer (did I spell that right?) and didn't always recognize when I needed him to help me. It was never because he didn't want to see it, it was only because he didn't know how to. He has always loved me and cared about me, even in the worst of times, but now, after almost 27 years of being together, he just plain grabs the bow and thrusts a wonderful arrow to my heart!  I see so many wonderful changes in him that I cannot even begin to put in to words, but as we both begin to find out what this new phase of our lives mean, we begin to cling to one another, we begin to hold one another even closer and begin to see that we get to spend the REST of our lives, TOGETHER, yes, I know, thats old news, but its a whole new meaning of together, a whole new perspective. We've built our family, we've built our home, we've protected our love, we've learned a lot about how to give of ourselves in whole new ways, we've become better people, better partners...why?  Because and ONLY because of the Lord.  I am so grateful that He saw fit to take our small offering of faith, our tiny seed of belief, our miniature little sacrifice and turned it into something beautiful and withstanding, something amazing and something so incredibly wonderful...Were it not for Him we would not be together or if we were, we wouldn't be the happy that we are, the peaceful that we are and the best friends that we are.  The storms that come, and yes, they still come, some fiercer than others, they test all that love and devotion but I know that when I run to our Lord and I know my husband is running too, we will find the answers that we need to make it through the storms. 

Ahhhhhhh, Life! Oh...forgot to tell you, I ended up with bronchitis but am getting better!

2 comments:

Small Change said...

The men in our lives can make us grateful that we are the women in their lives. John is such a ham. I love you guys to much to write the words down.

Anonymous said...

HuH, I had that too this week! Finally am startin gto get better, but not due to my husband. Instead mine is franticly trying to get our house finished before the deadline, Dec. 26. Hence the reason I have been locked up here at home every moment I am not at work. We're exausted and now I think Dave has bronchitis. Pray for us...for God hand in our lives and trust in Him that He cares for us and has a plan of good for us. WE NEED PRAYERS!!! How have you been, aside from sick?? I miss you! Call or come by when you get to being better! LOVE YOU!