Before each game we have a moment of hearing the Star Spangled Banner sung. We have some serious musical talent in this town. Our own Brianna Webb used to sing the anthem but now, Josh Grady, son of Tim Grady, grandson of Butch and Denie Grady, sings it, occasionally joined by his dad (who, by the way, sang at John and I's wedding). It is always a moving moment for John and I. We talked about it last night while reflecting on the game. John said he was standing there and was struck with such pride for his boys, for his son Aaron, getting ready to play and he felt his heart racing, the way it used to when HE was going to play a basketball game, back in the 70's, then he thought about Matty, and, well, you can imagine...I too was thinking of Matt. I always do. My mind goes back to the trip we made to Matts Basic Training graduation and, standing there, at full attention, in the flaming Texas heat, was our son, and 600 plus other YOUNG men and women of our military. As they stood there, in full dress blues, in this awful heat, the loudspeaker talked about the flag. Our flag which has withstood wars, bombings, and much bloodshed. We heard the story of our flag, the reason we fly it, and all the wars it has been through. Not a dry eye was in the audience when it was over as you sat there, listening to our freedoms so hard fought for told in story form and then looked at the people who are going to be fighting for those same freedoms. It moves me yet today. So, here I am, standing there, listening to the most amazing young mans voice literally belt out the Star Spangled banner, and all I see, with the flag flying on the wall, are pictures of my oldest son in Iraq, playing through my minds eye. Working on "his" Pavelow or smiling into the camera with his buddy Nate showing off a rare mustache, standing in a duststorm in Africa, his helicopter taking off in the distance...it chokes me up every time. I love my son, I love this country. I am so proud to be an american, so proud to know that I am living in a country where we have men and women who fight for us to be free. The immense, IMMENSE pride I feel in our oldest son is incredible. He does it for us. He told me recently, on Veterans Day (he always gets even MORE melancholy on V-day) that he is there for us 7, it is the only thing that gets him through his tours. I know that he isn't alone in that mentality as so many other men and women are over seas without their families at this time, it isn't easy. Matt might go back this month, maybe January, who knows, but either way, it is always a time of intense prayer and shallow breathing for John and I. I wanted to remind everyone to be praying for those soldiers, the ones who are there, serving, without family. Just pray.
I am a christian. A Bible believing, Jesus loving, Christ following, woman...Saved by Grace, Forgiven by the Blood of our Savior, and walking in His mercy.
Tuesday, December 2, 2008
Patriotism and Basketball
Last night Aaron had his first basketball game of his final season playing for Waldport High School. It was a great game. Behind for the entire first half and some of the 3rd quarter, they rallied, changed their defense, and gained the lead in the final moments of the game. (yes, I used to be a sports reporter, back in the "day") It was a lot of fun to watch our boy take a leadership role in the game and at one point, take the fall on a defensive foul, landing hard on the ground under the opposing teams basket, it was good.

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Wow, Lucy.
This entry gave me chills.
I remember the one time I was invited to sing the national anthem at a WHS basketball game, I felt that was a great privilege as well. I get teary almost every time I hear the song. I am proud to be an American and I feel honored to have people like Matt & company serving us so we may be who we are in the land of the free.
Post a Comment