Major adjustments in life always do two things don't they? They either paralyze you, rendering you incapable of any coherent thought or feeling or they inspire you! I am the first one! This has been a crazy two weeks. Have things slowed down you might ask? Not on your life! I would answer!! It seems as though I just get used to one way of living and then all of a sudden, bam, something else comes along and leaves you wondering what in the world happened to your little bubble of comfort! A very good and might I say, old, friend (I mean old in the years of knowing sense, not in age) Jesse Pattison said to me the other day that the expression on my face looked like someone who had been going mach 5 and suddenly stopped....yep, that about describes it for you!
Our middle son, Ryan moved home on Memorial Day. He had been gone for 8 months. It was a long eight months and I missed him a great deal. I hadn't bargained on the adjustment of his arrival and subsequent living here again, hadn't realized how comfortable I was in the setting we were in. I love that he is home, don't get me wrong, he is a joy to have around, its just that it is different when an adult child comes home after having lived on their own for awhile. It was the same way when Kaylee came home from college. So last week I had one day to adjust to Ryans arrival when I got a phone call from the school. The young man who has been living with us for the last six months had failed two finals and would not be able to graduate! Talk about devastating!!!! I probed a little bit more for answers and found out that if he got right back to the school and took them ASAP and got them scored in time and passed them, there would be a chance for him to walk. HOLY COW!!!! Poor kid, I felt sorry for him, but he handled the pressure like a trooper and took the tests, waiting anxiously for the results, hoping they would be on time. They were, after a week of waiting, they came in....he will be walking and receiving his diploma! We were all happy for him. I realized that I always just assumed my kids would graduate from high school and made me incredibly grateful that they haven't disappointed either themselves or us.
I wonder if we will always be in a state of transition? I admit, I wouldn't mind a season of quiet reflection, of peace and rest. I said to John the other day that maybe when Aaron graduates we will have days where it is quiet and nothing huge is going on, days where I won't be so concerned for our kids choices and decisions and days when I can, "rest on our laurels", you know what he said to me?????? "You will have a little granddaughter living next door, its not likely!" SMILE!!! Yes, that is true, and even writing it makes me smile, thinking about our little one who is growing, making her mommys tummy move and bump around, I cannot wait to meet her, hold her and kiss her soft little cheeks and sing to her songs about Jesus and show her how much she is loved and valued. I suppose I will always be in transition, if I am not, I am stagnant or dead and I don't want to be either one of those right now, so, I accept, allow, ponder and process, all that the Lord has for me to learn and I keep on leaning on Him! Okay, so I'm gonna get tired sometimes and might have to lean on one of you too, but still.......:o)
Have a great day everyone!
No comments:
Post a Comment