I am a christian. A Bible believing, Jesus loving, Christ following, woman...Saved by Grace, Forgiven by the Blood of our Savior, and walking in His mercy.

Thursday, June 5, 2014

writing again?!

I used to blog alot, I used to THINK about blogging alot, and then life really started speeding up in a whole new way and I just quit.  Lately I've been thinking about blogging again, or writing rather.  Maybe I should go back and look at my very first blog and read it again, maybe it would help me to rediscover the reason I started doing this in the first place.

I remember having a conversation, a long long time ago, with one of the english teachers at the high school here in town in that conversation he encouraged me to blog, being that I had the desire to write.  You see, I've always wanted to be an author.  I used to dream of being a freelance writer for magazines and an editor for Glamour magazine.  Yes, that was in my teenage years.  I have written in a journal at one time or another since I was in college and would construct whole stories, whole worlds, in my head as a youngster, recreating my life was my favorite past time.

The other day I downloaded a book on my kindle.  It is called "Breathe; a memoir of motherhood, grief and family conflict" by Kelly Kittel.  I downloaded it because Kelly's husband Andy, is an old classmate  and friend of mine and I know Kelly a little bit.  I was really curious about the book.  The thing is, the book, its really really good!!!  I LOVED it!!!  I'm not usually one for memoirs, almost always choosing fiction for any sort of reading entertainment, but this book had me at the first word and I couldn't put it down unless I had to until I was done with it.  Maybe a teeny bit of it is because much of it takes place in Oregon and is about someone I know and can relate to, but Kelly has a wonderful way with words and I really love her writing style.

Anyway, what also happened while reading Kelly's book is that I began to be encouraged to write again.  I thought, wow, if she can do it, I can, right?  I mean, she's my age, she's busy with a family, she has a story or stories to tell etc.  And then the doubts come creeping in.  Am I capable?  Am I even gifted?  What if nobody even cares about what I might want to say?   I decided, what the heck, I'm going to at least try and write something that our grandbabies will want to read some day.  Something for them.  Our daughter told me I should start with "One day in 3rd grade I kissed a boy"...but thats not entirely accurate...Its "one day in 7th grade, a boy kissed me"  and you know what? I may have to do that....Those moments tend to stick in your head!  


No comments: