I am a christian. A Bible believing, Jesus loving, Christ following, woman...Saved by Grace, Forgiven by the Blood of our Savior, and walking in His mercy.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Ranting and Raving

There's a lot of prejudices out there these days!  Of course there is all the normal ones, the ones we have all dealt with or seen or heard of our whole lives but this last year I have come against one over and over again that is very unusual and, quite frankly, pretty stupid (at least in my most humble opinion).  

This prejudice is called, in my little world, in my own little mind;

FACEBOOK PREJUDICE!

Holy cow. You wouldn't think someone would be finding excuses as to why they don't have a facebook account but more and more I find that when someone asks me if I am "on facebook" and I say, "I was but I'm not any more"  I get the most horrid looks.  Its as if I have committed a capital offense, some sort of social faux pas. Honestly, I am kind of tired of trying to explain my reasons for not choosing to be part of the social network that calls itself facebook.  I opted out of it over a year ago and aside from the occasional pang of wishing I knew what my daughter is posting on there, I could care less about it and miss it even less than that.  It seems though, that aside from the few members of my family who have chosen either not to be on it or were never on it, I am an outcast.  

"oh...that's right...your not on facebook"
"well if you were on facebook, you would know that"
"I already saw the pictures of your grandchildren on facebook" (quite frankly, that one scares me a little bit) 
"WHY aren't you on facebook?"  
"EVERYONE is on facebook"  Um nope, not true....
"I couldn't live without facebook"
"If I didn't have my facebook account I wouldn't know what is going on with my friends"

And on and on and on it goes...

I am really tired of it. Did I already say that?  I have literally had dozens and dozens of conversations about why I am not on facebook that have quite honestly left me feeling sometimes as though I am doing something wrong by choosing to disengage.  Its funny because in recent history, I have heard of several people wanting to disengage also....hmmmmmmm......

Here's the thing. I LIKE not being on there.  I DISLIKE that I am looked down on for not being on there.  Its as though my facebook status is more important than my REAL status.  Whatever happened to one on one, or, maybe even go back to emails if you must stay in modern technology.  More and more I am realizing that I want actual human contact.  I want actual human voices talking to me, reaching out to discuss, interact and compare notes with me. I want to see faces in real time, not just on facebook.  Truth be told, I felt like a voyeur and it didn't feel good. I felt like indiscriminate people wrote stupid things on there and I lacked the self discipline to not read it, so, I broke the habit, once and for all and shut it off.  

If you haven't guessed it already, I am on a rant! Driving down the road the other day, I thought about those people who have judged me for not being on there and how sad it is that I even cared about their judgments and that I felt I needed to justify my decision...Hence, this blog began to be written in my head. Yeah, I know, not very spiritual of me and I can't find a way to bring it around to a spiritual ending. Its just me being me, the only me I know how to be and I felt like ranting.   So, now that my rant is over, spent, done, finito (is that how you spell it?) I am going to go text my son back...okay so I am a little bit more plugged in than I will admit...but that's it...unless you count my kindle...

Gotta go!  :)   

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

i think its funny that your rant against social media is blogged...teehee :)

Scrappy Lucy said...

I know right? I thought of that and then just thought what the heck its my blog so I can say what I want hahahahahaha!