I am a christian. A Bible believing, Jesus loving, Christ following, woman...Saved by Grace, Forgiven by the Blood of our Savior, and walking in His mercy.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

snow happenings

Every once in awhile something happens that was just so unexpected, so different that you just have to go along with it and ride the wave and if you are "lucky" you get to see something cool happen in the process.

Today was one of those days. Last night while cooking dinner I looked outside and noted that it was POURING, literally a total downpour, and commented to John how much rain was coming down. About an hour and a half later John got up from the couch to get some water and said, "Lucy, there's an inch of snow on the deck!" "WHAT???You are joking right?"  Nope, he sure wasn't.... As the night wore on we watched it snow more and more and by midnight, after he made a run down town to help Alexis get her car unstuck from the snow and deliver some Young Life kids back home, we noted that the snow was up to about 4 plus inches. We called it a night and headed to bed.

This morning we got up and had about two more inches on the ground.  After talking to Matt a few times he asked us to come get him as his power was out and it was COLD in his house...No problem, we threw on our coats and gloves and boots and headed out. About a mile up the road we saw a tree on the road...the only person in front of us was a sheriff so we turned around and headed up to Jerry and Dene's to get a chainsaw to cut that tree and then headed back to cut our way past that tree.  One other rig with some guys in it were ahead of us and were attempting to clear the tree without a chain saw.  Then we drove up...

This is that moment I referred to at the beginning of this blog:

John stepped out of his truck, walked to the back and picked up his saw from the bed of the truck.  Slinging the saw up on his shoulder he started walking up the road.  I sat there in the truck, watching him walk up there with that saw and thought, "wow, this guy is amazing, I am so lucky!"  The group turned and saw him coming and the policewoman had this look on her face, one of total relief, as John stepped in, started his saw and just started cutting down branches.  I loved watching him step into the middle of the work and taking charge of the situation.  I felt a lot of pride as I sat in the warmth of the truck and he worked at getting through the road to our son.  As it turns out we ended up cutting up trees for almost three hours and had to have Jerry, Dene, and Travis come help, then Bryce showed up and worked with us to and went up to Matty's. I found myself thinking about the men in our family as this whole thing began to unfold.  I watched man after man drive past us women moving limbs out of the road and or stand and watch us move limbs and I kept thinking, our sons (Bryce included in that) are not remotely intimidated by work and would never stand by while women worked and watch them.  More than once Bryce reached out and grabbed hold of a limb that was too heavy for me. It was really comforting to know that our kids were raised to work hard and step in and help when it is needed.  I loved that Bryce went to check on Matt just because Kaylee asked him to and because when push comes to shove, they are brothers.  I love that we started out trying to get to Matthew and ended up understanding that we needed to get the road clear for lots of other people and in case of an emergency.  I am honored to be part of this family.

1 comment:

millerbaby_08 said...

Awww I agree with you and wish i'd gotten to see all this work being done! What an awesome family we had. It made me realize that no matter what happens, if one of us gets stuck out on our own somewhere- everyone automatically jumps in all on their own to make sure we're all safe and together! Just like in Taken, I know this family would come for me:)