Sometimes when I am working and listening to my Ipod I start to think of blogs I could write and things I want to say in one. I haven't had very many blog ideas lately, for some reason I have just been running blank! These last months I haven't felt all that good so didn't really know what I wanted to write, after all, this was never meant to be something that I used to vent my negative feelings or experiences, just a chance to practice my writing skills and enjoy a little bit of freeflowing chit chat, so to speak.
Today however, I started to think about something that happened to us while we were camping a few weekends ago, over Memorial Day. Kaylee had come up for the day on Friday, to hang out with all of us and stave off the lonelies from Bryce's long work days. We were hanging out and enjoying some fun time, watching Lucy run around the campsite and playing. She loves her great grandma and so wants to hang out with her and play. Elsie has her fairly often, if Kaylee doesn't call and ask for Elsie to babysit she feels left out! Anyway, we had spent the day playing and having fun and it was time for Lucy to take her nap. Kaylee and I went up and got her lunch and setting up the playpen in the 5th wheel and then tucked her in and told her night night. We stood around for a bit to make sure she was still staying in her bed and kept checking on her. She wasn't sleeping but was happily chatting to herself in her bed. I went up to the trailer to check on her and could hear her talking at the door so I reached up to open it and go in and get her but couldn't open the door! Um....well, guess I will try again...nope....can't open it....I could hear her saying, "Ami, Ami, want out! Ami, Want out!" My heart started to thud! I took off running for the fire ring where everyone was sitting and said, "John, we have a problem (not wanting to freak Kaylee out too much) Lucy has locked herself in the trailer, where are the keys?" He looks at me with this shocked, and not funny, funny face, and said, "in the trailer!" Uh oh! I took off running up the hill to the trailer with John and Kaylee. We went to the door and started talking to her and telling her we would get her soon. She just kept calling out to us that she wanted out. Then she started crying and calling out to her mama. We didn't panic but we were sure feeling panicky! About that time Jerry, Carrie, and Gary showed up at the trailer. Jerry was walking around the trailer and checking windows to see if any of them would open. They weren't but when I saw him doing that, I started trying it too. Earlier in the day, John had opened one of the tiny windows by the banquette in the slide out, so that Lu could watch her mama put the tent fly on their tent. Jerry tried that window but it wouldn't budge and I was going around to the rest of the windows to see if they would open and then lifted a prayer asking the Lord to get Lu out of the trailer. At that point, Kaylee was at the door, explaining to Lu how to find the door knob and the color (believe it or not, she was trying to find the black knob to open it) and we were around the back side of the trailer. John had tried to talk me into climbing up into the trailer through the laundry shoot but it was so narrow and curved that I just couldn't get myself into that hole. I walked back to that same window that Jerry had just tried and it moved, it opened! We slid the window open and Papa drove his 4wheeler over to give us a ladder to stand on, Jerry climbed up and slid the screen open with a screwdriver and Kaylee jumped up and we talked Lucy into coming over to us and Kaylee pulled her out of the window. WHEW! Then, it occurred to me...um, we gotta get into the trailer still! John reached in and opened the window a little bit more and then helped me get my feet inside and held me up so I could slide through! I have looked at that opening several times and wondered how I got through it but I guess desperation makes you do things you didn't think you could do or have the nerve to do. I climbed in and opened the door to the trailer. The reason Lu couldn't get the door open was that she had slid the plastic shield thing over the door knob and lock and couldn't see them. She was easily and quickly comforted and the only residue from her episode of being locked in the trailer was that she would look at the door and say, "no lock door" "don't touch door" haha!
I am grateful for cool heads, slightly ajar windows and a baby with the presence of mind to not panic and to wait at the door til mommy came for her. What a moment!
No comments:
Post a Comment