I am a christian. A Bible believing, Jesus loving, Christ following, woman...Saved by Grace, Forgiven by the Blood of our Savior, and walking in His mercy.

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Hello Everyone.....and fellow "Lurkers".
 I was kind of joking with Lucy when she said "Yes, you should guest blog."  So, here it is off the cuff.
  I have read the words my beautiful and loving wife has said about me, and although she has a predjudiced view, I am honored and truly blessed to have her. Here's why.
 I have lived long enough to know the old saying "Behind every good man is a great woman" is true.  I often wonder how I managed to hook this girl, let alone keep her.  One of things that I have always admired about my wife is her honesty, yes, sometimes even brutal honesty. Many of you know this firsthand :-)  You never have to guess what side of an issue she is on or what she might be thinking....YOU WILL KNOW!
But I have learned that honesty is based on a conviction deep in her soul about what's right and what's wrong.  That conviction has straightened my path when I've gotten off track more times than I can count now.  Every man NEEDS an anchor, a sounding board, an especially a "right & wrong" guage.  Should she or does she take the place of the Lord Jesus?  Absolutely not.  My relationship with Jesus is #1, then my wife, then my children.
  I was at one of the earliest "Promise Keeper" events when they first started in the 90's,(Yes the 90's).  Bill McCartney was speaking and he said something that struck my heart.  He siad that "the face and appearance of a wife (her beauty) will be a reflection on how her husband has cared for her." He later said that every man will stand before Jesus and  be held accountable for how he treated the wife God has given him. I began to think about that and wonder if that had any merit.  I thought of my mother and how she had looked early in my childhood when my dad was still heavily drinking and how different she looked after he stopped drinking.  I began thinking about couples we were close to an apply this concept.  What I found is that this is true, and it's easy to see the older you get.  To think that my wife will be a reflection on how I treated her was eye opening.  Of course I began to think of all the times and ways I failed at this.  But I decided right there I would try my best to treat her the best I could, the way God calls a husband to do, the way she deserves.  Have I been perfect at it?  Heck NO.  But hardly a day goes by where I don't think about that.  I want to be able to stand before Jesus and say this is my beautiful wife that you gave me Lord and I have tried to lay my life down for her at every chance.
  So back to what my wife means to me....besides physical beauty.  I have counseled with, and to, many men.  And all would say the best thing a wife can do is to give her husband respect.  A man needs to know his wife is behind him and beside him, supporting, encouraging, and yes, cheering (his ego needs it).  One of the biggest mistakes I have seen from women is not respecting there husbands.  Now please don't hear me wrong, if there are major issues and abusive situations in marriages that are not being dealt with, I can understand the lack of respect.  I am talking everyday life hurdles between a husband and wife.  One thing I have never had to ask for is respect from my wife. She has always given it, even if she disagrees on an issue with me, or even if I'm wrong.  What compels her to do this?  I don't know.  I don't believe I am someone who "commands" respect, I am just me.  Could it be because of the way she is treated and loved?  Again, I don't know, she does.  But I NEVER have had to worry about being "shamed" by her in front of anyone...even when I deserved it.  Does this road go both ways, ABSOLUTELY!
  Strength.  When I think of the journey that Lucy and I have made for 26+ years of marriage, and 10 years of friendship before that in school, I am reminded of her strength.  It's that strength that says "we will make it", and, "we can do it".  It's how I think God made every woman.  That's why women bear the children.  Thats why a mother will make sure her childrens needs are met before hers.  That's why a wife will make sure her husband has enough food before she eats her fill, often sacrificing.  Yes, I have seen all this first hand....just didn't realize it for years later. Strength  to sacrifice her needs for the better of the family.  That's an amazing concept modeled by our Savior Christ and lived out everyday by wifes all over the world.
  Lucy and I had a coversation recently on being a "stay at home" mom and being a "career" mom, and being a "part-time" working mom.  Although I have some personal feelings and ideas about this, I won't share as not to "run-off" any of my wifes followers. :-)  But if you have children, I will say this; The most important job you will ever have is being a mom.  She was wondering what our lives would be like if she had continued with writing and journalism and used her college education for a career.  Very different I suppose and we can only guess what may have been.  For sure our children would have missed out on many things.  It is so important for children to learn certain things from their mother. One of things I know that I know that I know about my mom is; she will ALWAYS love me and accept me just the way I am.  I have tried to use this principle with everyone I meet,  I am just not as good at it as my mom is.
 Love.  I can honestly say my wife, and (Jesus) has taught me what this word means.  When I was a kid I knew my mom loved me....i just wasn't sure how.  My father grew up with 3 brothers, no sisters.  He is a mans man.  Rough, tough, and right to the point.  You are not hurt unless you have a bone sticking out of your skin or bleeding uncontrollably.  Never got a lot of "love" teaching from my dad, but I can work circles around most people and never back down from a challenge.  And they say I have a "high" pain tolerance.....wonder why?  Anyways, I dygress.  Love.  My Lucy has taught me how to love.  How to "receive" love.  How to give love unconditionally.  I remember watching her hold our newborn children and how she held them, cuddled them, kissed them.  I was astonished.  I remember her putting our first born son Matthew in my arms and saying hold him close.  Of course I thought I would break him.  She showed me how to hold them, encourage them, laugh with them, listen to them, wipe away their tears, and how to lay your life down for them.....Nothing short of amazing!
 I am so proud and honored to be married to this woman.  The one who respects me, who stands with me, who laughs with me, and who serves Jesus with me. I Love You Scrappy Lucy.
John

1 comment:

Color me blingy! said...

This is the sweetest thing I have ever read. What a great guy!