I was sitting in my chair, minding my own business, John is closing the curtains in the family room and said, what happened, did you run out of material for the other window? I looked at him and said, no the material is different, those I bought, I got some for the living room and...oh just forget it...He laughed and said, Lucy, you need to blog that story!
Doesn't sound much like a story does it? Curtains? Well let me tell you, me and curtains go way back, matter of fact, I didn't HAVE curtains on my bedroom window, actually, it didn't really matter since I lived 25 miles up the Alsea River and my window faced the river and the only person who might want to look in was Philip Norton, the boy who lived across and down the river from us a little ways. I do love curtains, just can't seem to get them right. Dene and I made the ones we have in our family room from material she already had and I LOVE them, but they were Dene's creation, it was my idea to hang them from wooden rods and metal clips.
Here's the deal: I am always trying to cut corners with my curtains. They are so dangdably expensive and I just hate that. One go round I just hung blankets on the windows, that was a long time ago and a lot less money ago. When we moved into this house 16 years ago it was wall to wall BLUE carpet and these really lacy, frilly curtains with blinds in the windows. Eventually, they wore out their welcome as pink cotton trimmed lace isn't my thing and the house was being transformed anyway so, why not change the curtains. When John made me rods three years ago, after building our family room, I thought, cool, I'll get tabbed curtains for the front room. I got brown, well, too short brown...dang, guess I'll go get some more brown ones, nope, don't have those in brown anymore, guess I'll get these blue and brown striped ones that coordinate with each other, okay, that just looks dumb but it works so it stayed that way, bothering me each and every single day. I got these really nice tabbed curtains a few months ago that I thought were sage green, and they looked like it in the package, I get them home and they are lime green!!! okay, so not so sage, lived with them a little tiny while finally moving them to the family room where they quickly wore out their welcome, cool color, awful for my house, I gave them to Kales, she and Bryce like them and they needed them. So, my next foray into the curtain aisle was, of course, to get curtains on sale. Which I did, I got 4 really nice cream curtains, classy and pretty, only, when I got them home I got 3 long ones and 1 short one!!! AND I STOOD THERE FOR 10 MINUTES TO MAKE SURE I DIDNT DO THAT!!!! Oh well, I'll cut them off, well, guess that won't work cuz the short one is too short, oh man this is stupid! So, to improvise and decide if it really mattered to me, I stole clips from some curtains in the living room and clipped two curtains and left two hanging normally...no, this story isn't over yet, I live with it for awhile and then think okay, I gotta get some clips and trim those other curtains down so I go back to the store and into the clearance aisle (see, theres my problem right there and I KNOW this, clearance sales are for closeouts!) anyway, as luck would have it, I found another curtain, can't ever have too many so I bought it ( I DO wanna say that these curtains cost me 4$ a curtain) I also bought clips, not the right color really but I NEEDED to hang those dang curtains so I would just live with it. I also meandered by the material aisle and found some really nice heavy cream material for a dollar fifty a yard so I got a bunch of it because I now had a naked sliding glass door. I get home, take down the curtains, carefully measure, carefully sew the hems and get the clips on and begin to slide them on the rods, at this point my daughters words of an hour or so before that came back to haunt me, "are you sure those clips will fit?" um, well, its not a neat and slick slide I had hoped for, Johns first comment? "gonna have to take that rod up and make it smaller! hahahahahahaha I lay the material out, measure it, cut it and sew up the curtains for the slider and hang them, by this time I am many hours into it and just plain sick of the whole mess so don't pay a bit of attention and just walk off and make dinner. John goes to close them a little while later and yells out, uh honey, these are a little long! A LITTLE????? only 2 inches!!!! oh well, they still hang there, 2 inches too long, I'm afraid to hem them, they might shrink when I wash them.
One lesson I learned? I should have spent the 50.00 or so dollars it would have taken to get the chocolate brown sheers I wanted in the first place instead of trying to cut costs and spending WAY WAY more than that in the long run! Oh man! I think it is a pattern in my life. I will do it myself no matter what and just live with the ugly consequences of my curtains, oops, I mean my actions. Not that I like to be rebellious but sometimes I just don't get it until it is too late and I am in deep agony from what I have said or done. I am so glad that I have a savior! He takes my ugly creations and turns them into something special, something precious, something to showcase His beauty and amazing power. I don't have to settle for clearance rack specials when it comes to the Lord, I can get the real deal, the golden ticket, the top of the line. I get His best and I don't get what I deserve! It still shocks me!!!!
Oh, and that question John asked me? I took the extra curtain and hung it in a random window! hahaha! Poor guy, he never knows what I am gonna do.
No comments:
Post a Comment