Yesterday we travelled to Eugene to see some friends of ours. What a great time! I keep thinking about that moment when I walked into their house and there, sitting at the dining room table, playing in the family room, and standing in the kitchen, were some of the dearest people in the world to me. (us) That moment when it hit me that I was surrounded by people who know me, have seen me at my worst and my best, and who love me, I very nearly began to cry. People who have known me since they were children and are now adults, making lives of their own and are now dear dear friends of ours. At one point I sat there listening to the noise ebbing and flowing around me and my heart squeezed, you know, that kind of squeeze where you just don't think you can go one more second feeling so much love? THAT kind! Looking around the table at these beloved faces I just sighed. There was Bethany, feeding Melody, her little one, speaking sign language to her, being a beautiful mom, the kind I knew she would be from when she was little. Bethany, stepping up behind me, handing me a tin full of cookie dough, a tradition of ours from years back when she was a teenager and I confessed to her that I hate making cookie dough and she confessed that she hates baking cookies! Each time it takes me by surprise, this time it made me cry. Josh, her funny, sweet husband whom we are just getting to know and whom we already love! Then theres little Matthew. Blonde hair and huge eyes and an even bigger voice, being lovingly taught, corrected and corralled by mom, Heidi, patient and consistent, ever the t crosser and i dotter Heidi. She has blossomed into a beautiful and confident mom. Domenick, her husband, yelling out from the kitchen "I HAVE GARLIC BREAD!" and bringing it to share for everyone. Domenick whom we all try to make sure has enough food to fill his giant Croatian stomach, who immediately picks BOTH Ryan and Aaron up in a huge bear hug and begins to entertain them with his funny antics. Then there is Eric, who is like a son to me, the same age as my Matty. Seeing Eric always brings a strange mix of joy and grief, as I hug him I always feel as though I am getting to touch my son. I know, it sounds weird, but at one time, those boys were inseperable, in my heart, they still are. I love to see him, talk to him and see his smiling and joyful face, and beg him for a visit. Then there's my own kids, laughing, chatting, sharing. So many memories they all share with each other. Bethany and Kaylee with that special bond that comes from being at camp together as counselor and camper, now mommies together. nearly 10 years seperate them in age but children unite them. Heidi and Ryan, buddies and watch-carer. We forgot Ryan at the Lawrences once, it was Heidi that called, asking us if we forgot something, we hadn't yet realized we had! There's David, sitting there in the rocker, eating heartily and laughing, his eyes are lit from the inside and it is so wonderful to see him healthy and happy. Just two years ago his life was in the balance from a horrible biking accident that landed him in the hospital for 5 weeks. Every time I see him I marvel at how well he has recovered and moved on. Bryce and he are getting to know one another too and it is such a joy to see it. We were missing Jeremy and Jamie who had to go take care of a crisis situation but we were so fortunate to have their two little girls, Zoe and Madelyn, who entertained us and wrestled their uncles and adored little Lucy. What sweet and beautiful little girls. You might be asking where Mike and Nancy were. The best laid plans often go awry, but we did get to see them and spend time laughing and chatting with them, our boys entertaining their uncle Mike as only they can and bringing him some much needed diversion. What fun it was. I am so grateful for this family, for so very many years of friendship and memories. Of joy, laughter, celebration and blending. Big events, small events, fireside chats, retreats, camping, dinners, baptisms, counselling, rebuking (yes, I include that, I need a lot of rebuking sometimes) encouragement and support, barbeques, fireworks, christmas, birthdays, and New Years, graduations, weddings and all the living in between....
We have spent much more time with family and friends this year. It has been very wonderful. I shall have to blog the family Gingerbread making contest! What a blast! But for now, I bask in the afterglow of an evening spent with so MANY loved ones.
Merry Day Before Christmas Eve!
I will add photos later, I had to post this on Johns computer and he doesn't have the pictures!
1 comment:
Amen, sister! I wish I'd been able to be a part of all that in a different way--such as not exhausted from the multi-level drain I'd experienced in those days. God has been so good to us, all of us! I love you!
Post a Comment