I am a christian. A Bible believing, Jesus loving, Christ following, woman...Saved by Grace, Forgiven by the Blood of our Savior, and walking in His mercy.

Thursday, September 18, 2008

IV lines and the Like

Ever wonder why God has so much confidence in your ability to handle so many things at once in your life? Just when I think I am going to get to relax and breathe a sigh of relief, John gets some kind of infection that requires IV antibiotics that could damage tissue in his arm if it gets outside the vein at all....so, tonight.............

On a 12 hour cycle for the IV stuff Johns sister Carrie took him up to Newport at 8:30 am for his second bag of goodies. That meant that he had to have a third one at 8:30 pm. So, off to Newport we go, to have dinner and do an errand for me and look and dream of a leather couch! We get to the Med/Surg department and check in. I mean NO disrespect here but I have to describe this scenario to you it was just so uncomfortably comical. The people, nurses, were very nice to us. The first nurse doing his vitals spoke such bad english we couldn't understand her. The man who is going to put the IV in Johns arm came in and introduced himself, stumbled around trying to plug the machine in the wall that would pump the medicine in his arm and then started to look for the IV pick in Johns arm. "Um, there isn't one. Oh? Okay, guess I better go get a different set up." When he got back in the room he was shaking very badly while putting in the IV, uh, not a good thing when talking about this toxic mix of antibiotic. He successfully put it in while John nervously joked around and asked him questions, jokingly. My hubby is so funny sometimes! of course it didn't hurt that he was on a fresh dose of percoset. We sat there visiting and solving "our" worlds problems while the machine did its thing, an hour later it was finished and began beeping. Thinking someone might hear the machine and come, (I had told them it was almost done) we waited, after 5 minutes of beeping I went out and found our IV guy and told him that it was done, Oh, he says, thats what that beeping was....WHAT?????? I follow him in the room as he runs back out to get the vitals lady and back in to shakily remove the IV line from Johns arm. The lady that was doing the vitals came in to write Johns vitals on a napkin, but not before asking me the patients name. So, okay, in all fairness, it was late, it was a weird situation and we are/were tired, but the whole thing was just so odd! I honestly sat there and prayed! John tells me I will be very impressed with the other people tomorrow. On the tomorrow front, after his a.m. antibiotics appt he goes to the Dr. that did his surgery to have a check up and find out what kind of bacteria he has in his hand. (i mis-said it in my earlier post, the one they want to make sure he doesn't have is called mersa). I'm tired, I want a day to do nothing but what I choose to do. Hopefully after tomorrow John won't have to do any more of the IV stuff and we can have a quiet weekend at home.

So, I am glad the Lord has confidence in us to handle one more thing going on in our lives, but I will be glad when things DO quiet down again some day.

have a nice night, I am yawning my head off so I better get off here.

No comments: